Lyon Day 1: Saturday, May 1
Arriving to Lyon in the first day ended up exceeding my expectations. I've never been to France, and I never had a desire to. French is one language that has been hard for me to master (unlike Spanish) so that was one major reason for my disinterest in the culture.
Stacey and I have been traveling for the past week romping around in Amsterdam (totes love!!) and Brussels (hated it!). I think we were both dreading the fact that we have to "do more school" after a brutal first year in the MBA program.
We took train from Brussels to Lyon that was a 4 hour ride. I was feeling pretty bad from the day before suffering from food poisoning and nausea, and Stacey was feeling pretty nasty from not showering that morning since the place where we stayed had no hot water. It was a nasty Belgian trip and I will never ever "rough it" again at the expense of saving money.
My first impression of Lyon was that it didn't have half the amount of
tourists and international presence compared to the other cities that
I've been too. That is the first thing that I liked about it since I
absolutely hate tourist traps and attractions. When I travel, I like to
observe how their citizens carry about their lives without overpriced
tours and immigrants opening up business selling knick knacks and crappy
food. Lyon felt authentic and real. The city focused on one thing we can all relate to: food. Seeing our classmates again was exciting even though it had only been a week since we have last seen each other. There is something about being in a foreign country that made our class suddenly "click".
Our first event was traveling into the old part of town called Vieux Lyon. I've read in my travel guides that this place was where UNESCO declared it a World Heritage site due to being a part of something significant (such as the Renaissance) in the past. We took the funicular up to the Fourviere near the Basilica de Notre Dame de Fourviere where we were awaited dinner at the top of the hill.
My very first dish was a Lyonnaise salad which is one of the more famous types of dishes within this region (besides the blood sausage) that included a poached egg, bacon, and shallot vinaigrette. I can't believe that thing along was just to get started! Dinner overall took nearly 2 hours with a main dish followed by dessert and some coffee. Different types of wine were served throughout the night that seemed to compliment the dish. I can honestly say that I literally am in the food capital of the world. Check out what I had to eat below!
Arriving to Lyon in the first day ended up exceeding my expectations. I've never been to France, and I never had a desire to. French is one language that has been hard for me to master (unlike Spanish) so that was one major reason for my disinterest in the culture.
Stacey and I have been traveling for the past week romping around in Amsterdam (totes love!!) and Brussels (hated it!). I think we were both dreading the fact that we have to "do more school" after a brutal first year in the MBA program.
![]() |
| MBA Girls by the end of Day 1 |
We took train from Brussels to Lyon that was a 4 hour ride. I was feeling pretty bad from the day before suffering from food poisoning and nausea, and Stacey was feeling pretty nasty from not showering that morning since the place where we stayed had no hot water. It was a nasty Belgian trip and I will never ever "rough it" again at the expense of saving money.
![]() |
| Wannie & I at the Fourviere Restaurant |
Our first event was traveling into the old part of town called Vieux Lyon. I've read in my travel guides that this place was where UNESCO declared it a World Heritage site due to being a part of something significant (such as the Renaissance) in the past. We took the funicular up to the Fourviere near the Basilica de Notre Dame de Fourviere where we were awaited dinner at the top of the hill.
My very first dish was a Lyonnaise salad which is one of the more famous types of dishes within this region (besides the blood sausage) that included a poached egg, bacon, and shallot vinaigrette. I can't believe that thing along was just to get started! Dinner overall took nearly 2 hours with a main dish followed by dessert and some coffee. Different types of wine were served throughout the night that seemed to compliment the dish. I can honestly say that I literally am in the food capital of the world. Check out what I had to eat below!






No comments:
Post a Comment